12 February 2009

I have no regrets, I wasn't forced into this...

Songs always mean more to me than records, most bands can’t assemble perfect albums, and tend to mar them with terrible throwaway tracks or horrendous sequencing, so the following would be a smattering of songs that matter just as much:

His Hero is Gone “Anthem for the Undesireables”
I’ve always lived with a great deal of self hatred, so the shout of “I fight everyday…” at the beginning of this track… fuck man… seeing a thousand punks scream this at them at More Than Music in 1997 made the stress of putting the fest on worth it.

Stiff Little Fingers “Breakout”
I used to listen to this in my bedroom of dream of getting out of my shitty little town…

The Clash “Guns of Brixton”
This was always the toughest song, like harder than the Cro-Mags, Ratbones, Madball and Agnostic Front combined. Paul Simonon might be my favorite punk ever.

Cock Sparrer “We’re Coming Back”
Beyond it being the ultimate song to play while watching the glorious FC Barcelona trounce some poor pitiful English squad, one can’t help but feel the fight return to your down trodden soul when the lines “…and remember somewhere, out there you’ve got a friend, and you’ll never walk alone again…” come blaring out of the speakers. And then there is that guitar lead…. Classic… its like hope coming back to town… this might be the best, hokiest, most inspiring song ever written… like ever, in the history of all music… and if Rogers & Hammerstein’s “You’ll Never Walk Alone” wasn’t like the anthem for Liverpool FC I would get the lyrics to this song tattoo’d on my neck… just saying… best…

No comments: